- First, prepare the fruit - chop the raisins with a damp knife and quarter the cherries. Put all the fruit into a container, pour over the sherry and stir in the grated rind. Cover with a lid and leave to soak for 3 days, stirring daily.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, treacle and blanched almonds into a large bowl and beat well. Add the flours and spice and mix thoroughly. Stir in the sherry soaked fruit.
- Grease and line a 20cm square tin with greaseproof paper. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level out evenly.
- Bake slowly until cooked through (approx. 4 hours).
- Once cooled, soak with sherry weekly and store in an airtight container until Christmas.