- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2. Line a 9" square tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, spice and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the margarine, sugar and eggs. Whisk thoroughly (with an electric whisk) until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the fruit with the remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake on the lowest shelf of the oven for 2-3 hours or until golden, firm to touch and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin. Turn the cake out, wrap in greaseproof paper and store in an airtight tin.
- Cover the cake using 1 x 250g pack of brandy marzipan and 2 x 250g packs of ready to roll icing.