- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat and when hot, fry the shallot for about 3 minutes, until softened and starting to take on colour.
- Add the chicken livers, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1½ - 2 minutes, stirring gently, until coloured on all sides.
- While the liver is cooking, toast the sourdough slices under a hot grill or in your toaster.
- Pour the sherry into the pan with the liver and let the alcohol bubble off. Gently stir in the cream, pine nuts, grapes and spinach. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat.
- Season with a little more salt and pepper and serve immediately on the toasted slices of sourdough and topped with a handful of watercress.