- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Pop the dates into a pan with the water, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and set aside.
- In a new bowl, beat the butter, Lyle’s Golden Syrup® and Tate & Lyle® Light Soft Brown Sugar until soft and creamy, then beat in the vanilla and eggs.
- Fold in the flour and the dates with their liquid, mix well to a soft consistency. Spoon into a shallow 20-23cm (8-9”) square parchment lined cake tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a fine skewer comes out clean when poked through the centre.
- Meanwhile, put all the ingredients for the Toffee Sauce into a medium-sized non-stick pan and stir together over a low heat until the Tate & Lyle® Light Soft Brown Sugar has dissolved.
- When the pudding is ready, allow to cool before cutting into portions, then pour over the warm toffee sauce, finish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and serve.