- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Cut your potatoes into evenly sized chunks, and put in a large pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- Heat the butter in a pan over a moderate heat, then add the vegetables. Soften, but do not brown.
- Add the thyme, and then the beef. Brown it all over, and then add half the stock made up of the Oxo cubes and red wine. Whisk the other half with the cornflour and then stir into the meat mixture. Add a glug of Worcestershire sauce and allow to simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a generous slab of butter. Season to taste.
- Taste and season the meat, adding more Worcestershire sauce if necessary. If it looks dry, pour in a little water.
- Put the meat into a large baking dish and top with the potato. Dot with small pieces of butter.
- Put into the oven for about 40 minutes, until the potato is crisp and slightly brown, then serve. Next pour over red wine and cook for a further hour.