- Heat a tablespoon of the oil and brown the game and venison in batches until well browned. Keep on one side.
- Heat the rest of the oil and cook the onions for five minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic, bacon and mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for two minutes. Season well and stir in the bay leaf, orange zest and juice, redcurrant jelly, stock and wine.
- Bring to the boil, add the meat and simmer gently for 40-50 minutes until the meat is tender. Cool.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Put the meat mixture in a pie dish. Roll out the pastry to make a lid and attach to the dish. Decorate with the pastry trimmings and cut a steam hole in the centre. Glaze with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and risen and the filling is pipping hot.