- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan oven/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 25cm x 35cm (10”x14”) tin and line with baking parchment.
- Place all the dates, apple juice, water, apples and bicarbonate of soda in a pan and bring to a simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until dates are soft. Leave to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the fruit and date mixture, and beat for one minute. Add the Sponge Mix and mix on slow speed for one minute. Scrape down and mix for a further four minutes on medium speed.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and firm to touch.
- . Turn out onto a wire rack so that the baking paper is on the top. Peel paper off gently, cut, and serve.