- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Heat the oil in the pan with the onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add the steak and cook until the meat is seared all over and there is no pink left. By this time there should be some juice left sizzling in the pan.
- Pour in half the ale and allow to simmer for 1 minute then pour in the rest with the thyme, chilli powder, salt and pepper.
- Crumble in all the stock cubes. Add in the chopped vegetables.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and then transfer into a large casserole dish. If the gravy doesn't cover the meat then add in some water and mix in.
- Pop the dish into the oven for at least 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes before you want to serve, place the pastry mix in a bowl fitted with whisk beaters. Blend in the water on a slow speed until a dough forms. DO NOT OVER MIX. Roll out and cute appropriate size top for your pie dish.
- Take the dish out of the oven and ladle the meat into the pie dish. Place the pastry on top and put back in the oven for 20 minutes.